Quality Training For Over 30 Years
Academy Canada is a leading Newfoundland and Labrador Career College that was established in 1985 with a unique vision that still guides us today.
Founder Dr. David Smallwood argued that students need more than just books and lectures to become strong professionals. He knew that they also need encouragement, support and a learning environment that challenges everyone to do their very best. Most importantly, however, he taught us that every student deserves to be treated as an individual who has unique goals, motivations and needs.
Academy Canada is proud to be the largest independent career college in NL and one of the most diverse in the entire country. We have helped more than 35,000 students build awesome careers by delivering hands-on and relevant diploma programs in the top 35 employment fields related to Construction Trades, Justice, Business, Health & Personal Care, Creative Studies and Animal Care/Nature.
With 15 locations, we recognize the value of community and strive every day to help prepare a future workforce that will make our province stronger. Whether you attend class in St. John’s, Corner Brook, CBS, Placentia, Bonavista, Deer Lake, Baie Verte, St. Anthony, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Natuashish, Sheshatshiu, Lab West, Nain or Hopedale we will strive to give you every career (and life) advantage.
As the province’s only nationally-accredited CCAP (Career Colleges Accreditation Program) college, Academy Canada has made a firm commitment to quality. This endorsement offers employers the confidence that training is of the highest quality and that graduates are ready to become industry leaders.
Besides CCAP, we have also earned 36 other program-specific accreditations, received many industry endorsements, won numerous awards and negotiated several university/college transfer credit agreements.
While all of these things are important, they pale in comparison to the 95% satisfaction rating that we continuously receive from our students. When asked “would you recommend Academy Canada to a friend?” almost everyone responds with a wholehearted YES! We strive to provide our students and alumni with quality training in the most supportive and constructive environment possible.
Some of the key Academy Canada milestones are noted below:
Key College Milestones
- Founded in Corner Brook by Dr. David Smallwood
- Expanded to St. John’s
- Achieved national accreditation status
- First apprenticeship trades program accreditations
- Acquired Techline Trades College
- Acquired Centrac College
- Began offering trades apprenticeship training
- Opened trades campus at 336 Logy Bay Road
- Expanded trades campus to 37-45 Harding Rd
- Began Contract Training in Labrador
- Acquired Lawrence College
- Dir. James Loder became President of National Association of Career Colleges
- Dir. James Loder appointed to the Provincial Apprenticeship Board
- Awarded government contract to deliver ABE in 11 locations across NL
- Completed a multimillion dollar campus renovation
- Undertook a rebranding with new logo, website, etc
- Awarded government contract to offer online training
- Partnered with local band council to open Natuashish ABE Learning Center
- Won NL Construction Assoc. “Professional Services Award of Excellence”
- Pres Dir. James Loder serves as President of NL Assoc. of Career Colleges
Mission Statement & Core Values
It is Academy Canada’s Mission to provide quality education and training to all students in a learning environment that is both supportive of the needs of the whole student and academically sound in both content and delivery.
We are focused on numerous Core Values, including:
- Passion for Education: We are committed to developing and delivering quality education and training. We show pride, enthusiasm and dedication in everything that we do.
- Customer Service and Excellence: We are dedicated to satisfying students’ needs (our customers) and honoring the commitments that we have made to them.
- Integrity: We act with honesty and integrity, not compromising the truth.
- Respect: We treat our staff, students, partners and suppliers with mutual respect and sensitivity.
- Teamwork: We are supportive of each other’s efforts, loyal to one another, and care for each other both personally and professionally. No job is too big or too little for any of us.
- Communication: All staff members are encouraged to constructively share their opinions and views with Campus Administration and the Management Team.
- Balance: We are flexible, helping individuals strike a healthy work and life balance.
- Alignment and Accountability: We accept responsibility for our actions. We make and support decisions through experience and good judgment.
Statement of Values and Guiding Principles
Academy Canada will provide teaching and support staff who are academically and technically prepared for their tasks. Our team has a student-centered approach to teaching and learning, are of good character and perform their duties diligently. They always act with the best interest of our students in mind.
Wall of Fame
On December 5, 2018, representatives from the “Canadian Institute of Plumbing and Heating”, also known as CIPH, were at the Harding Road Campus for a Student Awards presentation ceremony. Founded in Montreal...Read More