Faculty: Animal Care & Nature
Certification: Diploma of Technology
Greenhouse Production is Academy Canada’s newest diploma program. Designed to prepare graduates for exciting careers in a range of occupations, it will teach students about crop production, nursery management, the physical plant environment and pest control. Courses will also focus on labour management, plant science and given legalization, will include regulations related to the cannabis industry. Skills acquired will be essential to work in the horticulture and agricultural industries.
With the Canadian Agricultural Human Resource Council predicting skilled labour shortages across the entire agricultural, greenhouse, nursery and floriculture industries until 2025, we are confident that this program will provide graduates with a wide range of skills to meet the needs of employers throughout the province.
Please note that due to the nature of this career, employees are required to tolerate regular physical activity during the course of their work day. If you have any medical concerns, please contact your admissions officer to ensure you are aware of the requirements of the occupation and to determine if you are eligible for accommodations in this program.
• Academy Canada is pleased to partner with Canopy Growth Corporation, a world-leading diversified cannabis company, in the development of quality programming which provides skilled graduates to meet the needs of the cannabis industry.
In accordance with Canopy Growth’s hiring practices, Canopy Growth recognizes the completion of Academy Canada’s Greenhouse Production program as an asset to those working within the industry and for employment opportunities with Canopy Growth.
• Atlantic Cultivation has signed a cannabis production and retail agreement with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. The production facility will create 117 new jobs with an estimated start date for production in 2021.
Atlantic Cultivation is pleased to endorse Academy Canada’s Greenhouse Production program that will provide skilled graduates to meet the labour market demand brought forward by the cannabis industry. The company welcomes the prospect to provide employment opportunities to qualified graduates of the Greenhouse Production program in order to assist with recruitment requirements vital for facility operations.
Christopher Crosbie, Chief Operating Officer, Atlantic Cultivation.
Academy Canada is also proud to partner with:
- Niagara College in the delivery of this program. To ensure students the greatest opportunity for success, we will be sharing curriculum, resources and industry expertise.
- Murray’s Horticultural Services in order to immerse students into a greenhouse setting that will actively engage them during program delivery.
- Regulations of the Horticulture and Agriculture Industries
- Landscape Graphics and Design
- Nursery Management
- Plant Science I
- Evergreen Ornamentals
- Mathematics for Horticulture
- Deciduous Trees and Shrubs
- Horticulture Entomology
- Landscape Design and Materials
- Pest Management
- Plant Science II
- Horticulture Maintenance and Methods
- Horticulture Construction
- Natural and Human Ecology
- Advanced Communications for Horticulture
- Annuals and Herbaceous Perennials
- Applied Plant Pathology
- Standard First Aid
- Greenhouse Crops I
- Sustainable Food Production
- Greenhouse Technical Practices
- Health and Safety Committee Training
- Architectural Green Spaces
- Greenhouse Vegetable Production
- Horticulture Business and Sales
- Greenhouse Crops II
- Leadership Skills
- Language and Communications
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Horticulture Practices and Operations
- Greenhouse Plant Environment
- Greenhouse IPM
- Nursery Production Practices
- Greenhouse Root-Zone Techniques
- Greenhouse Environment and Controls
Depending on specific employer hiring practices, graduates may be employed in positions that include, but are not limited to:
- Greenhouse Management
- Cannabis Manufacturer
- Nursery Management
- Garden Centres
- Greenhouse Crop Production
- Production, Quality Assurance, Post-Harvest, Propagation, and Operation Managers
Employees will have to meet hiring requirements in accordance with government legislation and employer practices that may include but not limited to being of legal age and Certificate of Conduct completion.
High School or Equivalent
High School Graduates (or equivalent) who have successfully completed Level III Academic English (or Academy Canada’s English Essentials course) are eligible for admission to the Greenhouse Production program. Students must complete an application form and provide a copy of High School, Adult Basic Education, or GED results. Applicants who do not meet the above requirements will require upgrading through Adult Basic Education prior to admission.
Applicants at least 19 years of age who do not meet the above high school graduate requirement may be eligible for admission to the Greenhouse Production program. All students entering through the Mature Student Status must also have successfully completed Level III Academic English (or Academy Canada’s English Essentials course). Level III Academic English may have been successfully completed through High School or through Adult Basic Education training. Mature applicants who do not meet the above requirement will require upgrading through Adult Basic Education prior to admission. Applicants must complete an application form, provide a copy of their most recent marks and write a Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT) arranged by Academy Canada to assess eligibility for admission.
While not required for admission, completion of the following High School courses would be an asset for successful program completion:
- Level I or II Biology
- Level II Chemistry
- Academic Level III Math
Wall of Fame
Academy Canada are please to announce that our Webmaster, Jack Barrett, will be inducted into Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame for the class of 2020-2021. Jack will become the first Special Olympian…Read More