Student Supports and Policies
To help you understand your rights, responsibilities and procedures Academy Canada has created a thorough Student Policy Manual.
It clearly highlights all the things you need to know to make your college experience as enjoyable as possible and provides clarity on things such as:
- Academic Awards
- Academic Standards
- Academic Status
- Class Capacity and Hours of Operation
- College Admission
- Financial Concerns – Refund Policy
- Distance Learning
- Principles of Discipline
- Student Records
- Student Services
- Language Requirements
- Laboratory Safety Procedures
- CMTNL Exam Prep
- Awarding Posthumous Diploma Policy and Procedures
- Audio Video Recording Policy
If you are ever uncertain about any college requirement please do not hesitate to reach out to your instructor or any member of your campus administration.
COVID-19 (Corona Virus Update)
Updated March 14, 2020 at 7:30 PM
To the Academy Canada Community,
Nothing is more important to Academy Canada than the health and well-being of our students, staff and faculty.
Our current measures take into consideration that the current risk of exposure at Academy Canada remains low.
However, we do recognize that this is an evolving situation and adjustments may need to be made to our plans in the coming days. We will make these adjustments together in a spirit of collaboration and community responsibility.
We are confident that we will get through this difficult time with understanding and resolve.
As of now and until further notice:
- Academy Canada will continue with all classes as scheduled. Of course we respect that students will make their own decisions based on their personal comfort level and their own risk assessment at any given time. However, we do ask that students consider that the risk of exposure at Academy Canada remains low, according to the Chief Medical Officer of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- The following on-site protocol is in place:
- Frequent handwashing is expected as this is the best defence against COVID-19. Posters showing proper handwashing technique is posted near sinks.
- Increased cleaning of “high touch” areas including: doors, door knobs and handles, stair rails, washroom stalls and sink and toilet handles.
- Cleaning supplies are provided in each computer lab, classrooms and shops in order to wipe down keyboards and mice, etc. before use.
- As a general rule we ask that if you are ill, please stay home.
- Anyone returning from international travel is asked to please notify Campus Administration before coming to class.
- If you think you might have COVID-19, call 811 and follow the health care provider’s instructions.
- Students are expected to advise their instructor if they need to stay home and to keep their instructor informed.
Reliable information source include the provincial COVID-19 information website: https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/
Also another good information source is the World Health Organization. Their website is https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public.
Remain calm, follow good hygiene practices and continue to be kind to one another. We are closely monitoring the situation and we will get through this together.
Academy Canada Policy on Cannabis, Alcohol and Drug Use
Some of you may have been wondering about the College’s policy regarding cannabis after legalization.
We take the safety and security of our students/staff very seriously and are taking measures to ensure that the risk of harm is minimized. To do this, we are reaffirming our firm policy regarding the use of drugs on campus.
Please note that the use of, possession of, or distribution of any amount of cannabis, alcohol or illegal drugs is strictly prohibited on campus grounds at all times (including during and after class hours). Campus grounds include buildings, classrooms/shops, on the exterior grounds or parking lots (including within vehicles).
Students who consume, possess or distribute onsite or come to school under the influence will be asked to leave class/shop immediately and meet with the Campus Administration. Students found in violation of the policy will be subject to disciplinary measures up to and including dismissal from the College and reporting on the permanent school record. This policy is officially referenced within “S010 Principles of Discipline”.
Students who hold a Medical Marijuana Possession License are asked to speak with their Campus Administration for clarification on policies that relate to them specifically.
If you have any questions please feel free to speak with Administration for clarification before considering any activity that may violate college policy.
Thank you for respecting fellow students/staff and their safety.
Wall of Fame
Are you thinking about a career in graphic design? According to Multimedia Graphic Design instructor, Kyle McDavid, the sky is the limit. If you’re a technical minded, creative, and tech-savvy person with…Read More