Personal Care Attendant
Click here for specific start dates.
Faculty: Health & Personal Care
Certification: Diploma of Health and Human Sciences
Entrance Requirements: Please click here
Are you compassionate, patient and kind?
Do you truly enjoy helping others?
If so, Academy Canada’s Personal Care Attendant program is waiting for you!
>>> NEW! The government of Newfoundland and Labrador announced recruitment and retention bonuses for Personal Care Attendants in long-term care. New PCAs will be eligible to receive up to $4,300 to work in long-term care for a one-year return in service commitment (learn more). The provincial government also offers student bursaries of up to $5,000 in exchange for a service commitment after graduation (learn more).
Academy Canada is pleased to offer the 30-week Diploma program, Personal Care Attendant, an educational program developed by the Department of Health and Community Services and the Department of Education. Personal Care Attendants are integral professionals within the health care system. They provide for the care, comfort, safety and well-being of their clients across the life span, all while demonstrating sensitivity and respect. Given the aging population and increased emphasis on quality long-term care, individuals with the skills provided by this program will be in high demand for many years to come. In addition to the real-world training provided on-campus, students will also gain exposure to prospective clients through two clinical practices and one clinical preceptorship.
Please note that due to the nature of this career, employees are required to tolerate regular physical activity during the course of their work day. If you have any medical concerns, please contact your admissions officer to ensure you are aware of the requirements of the occupation and to determine if you are eligible for accommodations in this program.
- Foundations for Practice
- Essentials for Communication and Documentation
- Workplace Safety
- Understanding Aging, Delirium, and Dementia
- End of Life Care
- Fundamentals I: Care Basics
- Fundamentals I: Skills Labs
- Clinical Practice I
- Basic Concepts for Medication Awareness
- Personal and Career Development Seminars
- Mental Health Concepts
- Fundamentals II: Body Systems Approach to Care
- Fundamentals II: Skills Labs
- Clinical Practice II
- Clinical Preceptorship
Upon successful completion of the Personal Care Attendant program, graduates can apply for employment in acute and long-term care in regional health authority institutions, long-term care facilities or private facilities.
Additional Entrance Requirements
Applicants must submit:
- 2 written letters of reference (no personal references)
- Certificate of Conduct with the Vulnerable Sector Check from their local police department
- A written verification of 20 volunteer service hours within the past two years
- A 1-page written personal statement
- For applicants whose first language is not English, demonstration of English proficiency at a minimum of level 8 is required.
Wall of Fame
Academy Canada Wins Big At “Newfoundland and Labrador Therapeutic Recreation Association” Conference
Posted January 30, 2024 During the Newfoundland and Labrador Therapeutic Recreation Association Conference, our Therapeutic Recreation class celebrated two big accomplishments. Our program instructor, Joanne Bennett, was recognized with the “Leadership in…Read More